– What you need to know about menstrual cramps
– Causes of menstrual pain.
Menstruation is the flow of blood from a woman’s womb, it happens once in a month. It often gives certain signals before its arrival. Menstrual cramps usually refer to a dull, throbbing, cramping pain in the lower abdomen, just above the pelvic bone.
However, quite a number of ladies experience pains when menstruating, the pains range from one level to the other. There is the mild pain and some pains come with severity.
The pain is also known as dysmenorrhea, menstrual cramps or period pains. Menstrual cramps are painful and they affect many women before and during a menstrual period.
Also, for some ladies, their menstrual cramp or pain is always accompanied by some other forms of pain, aside from the pain in the stomach region. They might have a backache, headache, pains in the joints, etc.
Symptoms of menstrual cramps include;
- Feeling pain in the lower back is a major symptom.
- Joints ache.
- Nausea, constipation, and vomiting are also symptoms.
- Weakness, dizziness, and weariness are also signs.
- Diarrhea, etc.
Things that cause menstrual pain include;
1. Excess physical activities can cause pain.
2. Hormonal stress is also another cause.
3. Taking food items that contain excess sugar can also cause menstrual pains.
4. Emotional stress can also increase the chance of experiencing menstrual cramps.
Ways to treat pains during menstruation include;
1. Over-the-counter medicine is effective, especially pain relief drugs. You can also take medications that are prescribed by the pharmacist.
2. Avoid the intake of foods or snacks that contain excess sugar.
3. Consult a medical doctor if the pain persists or occurs in a severe manner. Medical attention is what some people need, especially when the pain is severe or unbearable.
4. Birth control pills or treatments can also be effective, especially for the married ones.
5. Anti-prostaglandins are also capable of reducing cramping in the uterus, they lighten the flow of blood, and relieve discomfort.