– How to take care of prolonged menstruation
– Things that can cause menstruation to be longer than normal.
At some points in some ladies’ cycle, they experience a prolonged menstruation. The reason for this is often not known.
A long period makes women feel uncomfortable.
Prolonged menstruation is also known as ‘menorrhagia’. It is bleeding that goes beyond the normal menstrual period.
For instance, normal menstrual bleeding lasts between three to seven days, any menstruation that goes beyond this is menorrhagia.’
Also, the duration of menstrual periods varies from woman to woman. Menstrual cycles typically last between 21 and 35 days, with three to seven days of bleeding. If the bleeding lasts for over 7 days, it is considered an abnormally prolonged period.
This type of irregularity might occur because of changes in hormonal levels, especially the nitrogen. It might also be an indication of certain medical problems in some ladies.
Causes of prolonged menstruation include;
- Infections or bleeding disorder can be the cause.
- Uterine fibroids.
- Birth control pills.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) is also another cause of prolonged menstruation
- Cervical or uterine polyps, etc.
Some of the ways to treat prolonged menstruation include;
1. The treatments of this menstrual irregularity are dependent on its underlying cause. For instance, if stress is the cause, then, after adequate rest, the flow will return to normal. Exercise is also essential to lower stress levels and may help regulate hormone levels.
2. Birth control is also another treatment for abnormal menstrual bleeding.
3. Taking medications according to prescriptions is also a treatment.
4. Another treatment is the surgical removal of the uterine lining which we can also refer to as ‘Hysterectomy’.
5. Medications according to the prescription of a medical doctor or a pharmacist is also a means of treating it.
6. To treat prolonged menstruation, diet is also essential, eat lots of fruits and leafy vegetables.
7. Adjustments of certain lifestyle may also help to regulate hormones back to their normal levels.