– The meaning of koilonychia.
– The causes and symptoms of this condition.
Looking at koilonychia even by the name, it may look strange, some people probably might not have heard about it. This is why it is necessary that you read this piece.
We refer to koilonychia as spoon-shaped nails or spooning fingernails. This is a condition in which you notice that the fingernails become thin they experience a lifting at the outer edges.
The fingernails are the hard, flat translucent that cover the fingers of a human. When spooning fingernails occur, it has to do with the fingernails being curved especially at the edges.
So, due to the concavity of the nail, we refer to this as a spoon-shaped nail because it has an appearance of a spoon.
Koilonychia might be a disorder that an individual inherits from birth while some people do not inherit from birth.
The fingernails will grow abnormally, they will have thin edges and they will also be curved at the edges resembling a spoon.
In most cases. this condition affects children and they tend to recover from it as they grow older.
There are certain things that lead to koilonychia but the most common causes include the following;
1. When there is a reduction or deficiency in the iron content in the blood or anemia this condition can occur.
2. Also, when there is a poor functioning of the thyroid hormone, it can result in koilonychia.
3. Glossitis is another risk factor for this condition.
4. Also, a damage the fingernails incur due to dermatologic conditions such as psoriasis can lead to the development of spooning fingernails.
5. Reduction in the flow of blood is another cause.
The general symptom of this condition is the thinning of the fingernails and their outward curving.
When a child has this condition, ensure that the child takes iron supplements especially if the condition is as a result of iron deficiency.
There are also certain medications that will help when koilonychia plagues a child. Visit the doctor to get a proper treatment.