– How does oxalate benefit the health?
– Is this compound necessary in the human body or not.
An oxalate refers to any salt or ester of oxalic acid. It is a compound formed by the condensation of an alcohol and an acid.
Also, an oxalate contains the functional group called carbon-oxygen. It is a compound found in many foods which the body produces.
Oxalate is also a naturally occurring molecule found in abundance in plants and humans.
However, it is important to note that too much oxalate is dangerous to the health in many ways.
A high oxalate level is capable to trigger or worsen kidney stones.
It is good to eat foods that are low in oxalate. Such foods include; fruits, leafy vegetables, legumes, seafood as well as meat, dairy products, and many others.
We should eat foods that are low in oxalate because low oxalate diet helps to prevent kidney stones.
Kidney stones refer to conditions in which pebble-like deposits form in your urinary tract. These kidney stones are a common disorder of the urinary tract.
To prevent kidney stones, it is advisable that individuals who have them or those who do not have them avoid eating foods that are high in oxalate. Avoid them as much as possible.
Way by which an individual can ensure he or she takes foods that have a low oxalate include the following;
1. Proper intake of calcium helps in ensuring low oxalate, do not take too much or too small calcium. Take adequate but not excess calcium.
2. Also, eat meat and seafood, they promote lean tissue growth and repair. Lean beef, fish, poultry, pork, and shellfish are low in oxalate.
3. Eat fresh fruits and leafy vegetables, they are also good sources of low-oxidate,
4. Also, eat potatoes, bread, and grains.
5. Dairy products such as cheese, tofu, are also low in oxalate.