– Why you need iodine for healthy growth.
– Ways by which iodine benefit the health.
Iodine is a mineral that we need in our diet which helps to ensure that the thyroid works properly. It is also an essential trace element that is vital for normal growth and development.
Iodine plays an important role in proper functioning of the thyroid gland, it also controls its functions and this has a significant influence on the metabolic processes in the body.
The thyroid gland refers to an endocrine gland that is on the front of the neck, this gland produces various hormones in the body.
Thyroid hormones play an important role in a wide range of bodily functions, including metabolism, bone health, immune response, proper functioning of the body and in the development of the central nervous system at large.
One important thing to note about iodine is that about 60% of the iodine in the human body is stored in the thyroid gland.
You might be wondering that how do you derive iodine, it is very simple. Food is the best source of iodine, that is to say, that the amount of iodine in a food depends on how much iodine you will derive from its consumption.
Good sources of iodine include the following; iodized salt, seaweed, shellfish, multi vitamins, egg, cheese, etc.
The importance of iodine in the body include the following;
1. It ensures the proper functioning of the thyroid and also protects it from degeneration.
2. It is also a good source of energy, it raises the level of healthy energy in the body.
3. Iodine also regulates metabolic rate in the body. It helps in the production of hormones and these hormones are responsible for controlling the body’s metabolic rate.
It also helps to balance the hormone in the body.
4. Iodine is also vital to the immune system, it helps strengthen the immune system.
5. Iodine also reduces the risk of conditions like fibrosis, turgidity, and breast tenderness. Another important health benefit of iodine is that it helps to prevent cancer.
However, a deficiency of iodine can have serious effects on the body. It is important that we have an adequate amount of iodine in the body.