– Signs that will make you know that you have an avascular necrosis.
– The basic treatments for avascular necrosis.
Avascular necrosis refers to a disease or a condition resulting from the loss of blood supply to the bones.
This lack of blood supply can either be temporary or permanent and this can cause the death of the bone tissues or their collapse.
An alternative name for avascular necrosis (AVN) is also osteonecrosis, or ischemic bone necrosis, which involves the obstruction of blood supply to the bones.
The bone is the framework of the human body, it is the skeleton of the body and it is vital in the body.
If the bones are not functioning properly, the whole body will be in danger. In fact, some parts (if not all) of the body cannot be put to use.
The bone is a living tissue requires blood and without an adequate supply of blood to the bones, they might eventually die or stop functioning.
There are certain risk factors of avascular necrosis, some of the causes include the following;
1. Inadequate supply of blood to the bones is the major cause.
2. Dislocation or fracture of the bone can also cause it, it can affect the supply of blood to the parts of the bone that are suffering from the fracture or dislocation.
3. Inflammation of the arteries and any damage that occurs to the arteries can also cause it.
4. Any injury that affects the bone can also cause it.
5. Abuse of alcohol can also cause it, when you drink alcohol excessively, it can lead to an accumulation of fat in the bone arteries, which will cause an obstruction to the flow of blood.
Although avascular necrosis might have no symptoms for some individuals. But generally, when an individual has this condition, there are different symptoms that will accompany it.
The signs and symptoms of avascular necrosis include the following;
- Pain and discomfort in the affected part of the bone.
- Difficulty in using the part of the body where the bone is affected.
- Also, there will be a painful sensation in the part surrounding the bone.
- Inability to use the joint is also another symptom.
The basic treatments for avascular necrosis are the following;
1. The use of anti-inflammatory drugs can be effective.
2. Eat a balanced diet or a meal that reduces the level of cholesterol in the body. Take foods that help you maintain a healthy and good cholesterol.
You can also take cholesterol-lowering drugs that help to prevent the vessel blockages that can cause osteonecrosis.
3. Physical exercise is also helpful in maintaining a proper flow of blood to the bones and arteries.
4. Rest well and also reduce your stress level.
Often, this disease (osteonecrosis) occurs in the hip region, on the knees, ankles, the shoulder, and even the thigh bone.