– The side effects of an onion.
– What you should know about the consumption of onions.
Onions are vegetables that contain enormous nutritional values. They are beneficial to the health, they are also among the most common and most popular food items in existence.
Onions are the natural underground bulb and there are many benefits that this natural food can bring you.
An onion is a good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, folic acid, protein, calcium, potassium, iron, and powerful antioxidants.
Despite the amazing benefits of onions such as managing diabetes, asthma, and hypertension as well as helping prevent cancer, etc, onions still have some harmful sides.
The side effects of onions are not life-threatening. Some of the side effects of onions include the following;
1. Some people are allergic to onions, they might have an itchy and red rash when an onion comes into contact with their skin.
2. Also, there are some properties in onions that have the ability to lower the blood sugar levels of diabetics way too much. It is advisable that those who have diabetes check their blood sugar level before they eat onions.
3. Eating onions can also lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, especially for people that are allergic to it.
4. If an individual is taking anti-coagulant drugs and the person still eats onions, an increase in the risk of bruising and bleeding might occur. Onions are thought to have an anti-coagulant property.
5. Also, to some individuals, onions are skin irritants.
6. Gastrointestinal discomfort can also result from over-consumption of onions.
7. It can also cause heartburn to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding babies.
Despite these harmful sides of onions, they are very good as they contribute a lot to healthy living. Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties, reduce the risk of certain cancers, lower blood pressure, and curb high blood sugar.