– Why it is important to eat foods that are rich in fiber.
– The vital roles of fiber in the health.
Fiber can also be referred to as roughage, it is the part of plant-based foods such as grains, fruits, vegetables, etc that the body can’t break down easily.
We can simply refer to it as the indigestible portion of plant foods. Fiber plays an essential role in the digestive, heart, and skin health.
There are two major varieties of fiber; insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. The major difference between the duo is that soluble fiber dissolves in water while insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water.
Examples of foods that are rich in fiber include; wheat cereals, vegetables such as carrots, celery, and tomatoes, barley, oatmeal, beans, nuts, and fruits such as apples, berries, citrus fruits, pears and many others.
There are essential roles of fiber in the health, some of them include the following;
1. Fiber plays an important role in keeping the digestive system clean and healthy. It aids digestion, it prevents constipation, eases bowel movements, and flushes cholesterol and other harmful toxins or carcinogens out of the body.
2. Soluble fiber is also responsible for the control of blood sugar levels and also reduces cholesterol. Soluble fiber also helps to slow your body’s breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar.
3. Eating dietary fiber is also good for weight management. Fiber and its supplements help in weight control and fiber also improve healthy skin.
4. Another role of fiber in the health is that it can lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
5. Eating foods that are high in fiber also helps in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
6. Eating a diet rich in fiber can also boost the immune system and overall health, thereby keeping you healthy.