– Some of the side effects of tomatoes that you might not know.
– Some other facts that you need to know about tomatoes.
Tomato falls in the category of edible fruits, it is also a savory fruit and when it is ripe, people also refer to it as a vegetable.
Tomatoes are also one of the major ingredients that people use in the preparation of many delicacies, they are found in all parts of the world and in many homes.
Tomatoes with pepper and some other ingredients are important in the preparation of stew, sauce and other types of soup as well.
Also, there are many advantages of consuming tomatoes which include the fact that tomatoes are a good source of antioxidants, this makes it possible for them to help us combat the formation of free radicals known to cause cancer.
Tomatoes are also good for the skin, they help in maintaining a healthy skin.
Despite the good sides of tomatoes, there are some dark sides of tomatoes which include the following;
1. When it comes to acidity, tomatoes are highly acidic and this makes them cause heartburn. Also, a tomato is capable of causing a reflux ( which is the backward flow of any fluid or the leaking of stomach acid into the esophagus).
2. Lycopene is an important nutrient in tomatoes, in fact, it happens to be responsible for most of its benefits. However, the dark side of lycopene is that it can also increase the risk of bleeding.
Also, it lycopene intake can cause chest pain, accumulation of fat under the skin, and indigestion.
3. Also, there are some allergies that come with the consumption of a tomato such as; skin rashes, coughing, sneezing, eczema, an itching sensation in the throat, hives, and swelling of the face, etc.
4. Another side effect of tomato is that it can cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).