– Why it is important to eat cassava.
– Vital benefits we can derive from cassava intake.
Cassava can also be referred to as ‘manioc’ and it falls into the category of starchy foods. It is also a tropical root plant that is present in Asia, Africa and South America.
Cassavas are not expensive and we can easily get them in stalls and markets. They are one of the richest sources of carbonhydrates.
There are a lot of health benefits that we can derive from cassava intake, considering the fact that it belongs to the class of carbohydrates, it has a lot of nutrients and vitamins.
An important characteristics of cassava is that they have a low glycemic index, also, they are naturally gluten-free.
However, we can not eat a cassava raw, we can cook it, turn it into flour and use it for other things.
A cassava is also very high in calories, in fact, it contains more calories than a potato, we can find twice the level of the calories in a potato in a cassava.
Cassavas also contain protein and some vital nutrients and minerals that the body needs for healthy living.
Some of the vital health benefits of eating a cassava include the following;
1. Cassavas are rich in certain essential minerals that the body needs. Some of these minerals are; calcium, zinc, iron, phosphorus, manganesium, and potassium.
Each of these minerals has its essential role in the body, for instance; zinc helps your immune system fight bacteria and aids cell growth and division while calcium helps to form strong bones and teeth.
2. Also, they contain saponins which help to ease inflammation and also balance the gut flora in the body system.
Saponins also break down the organic body wastes like uric acid and cleanse mineral deposits from the joints.
3. They also contain fiber which is good for digestive function, heart health and can also play an important role in weight loss. It maintains the blood sugar level as well.
4. As a carbohydrate, a cassava supplies adequate energy to the body.
5. Cassavas contain antioxidants such as beta carotene, vitamin C etc and these antioxidants help to combat diseases.