– What is the meaning of leukemia?
– What are its causes, symptoms, and treatments?
Leukemia is a type of malignancy that affects the blood cells or the blood forming tissues. It is malignant cancer that is invasive or otherwise not benign.
It is a cancer of blood cells, which is why some people refer to it as blood cancer. Also, it is cancer that affects the body’s blood-forming tissues such as the bone marrow.
Although, one cannot pin the cause of this condition down to a particular one genetic factors and environmental factors contribute to its development.
There are some classifications of this cancer, the major types are classified based on their progression and the types of cell involved.
The following are some of the types of leukemia that we have;
1. Acute leukemia or Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL). This is the most common type of leukemia in young children, it can also affect adults.
2. Chronic leukemia or Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).
3. Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML).
4. Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML).
Also, leukemia can affect both children and adults. Although, there are some types that are common to children while some affect adults more.
Usually, this condition involves the white blood cells, also when there are mutations ( alteration, change or any heritable genetic change) in some blood cells, malignant cancer can occur.
Also when the bone marrow produces abnormal white blood cells that do not function effectively, leukemia can occur.
Basically, the treatments for leukemia are dependent on the type that an individual has. That means, their treatments might differ depending on the type, factors that contribute to it and its symptom.
The symptoms of this blood cancer include the following;
- Pain in the bones or joints and tenderness
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Chills, fevers and night sweats can also occur.
- Body weakness and fatigue.
- Unexplainable weight loss and loss of appetite.
- Nose bleed and consistent bruising.
It is advisable that you visit a medical doctor as soon as you notice the symptoms. Also, the doctor will know the best treatment for each type.