– The causes and symptoms of abdominal dropsy.
– What are the treatments for this condition?
Abdominal dropsy is a condition that is characterized by a swelling in the abdomen. This swelling or edema might occur as a result of chronic diseases or even infections.
Another medical term for this condition is ascites which entails the accumulation of fluid in the abdomen. This abnormal accumulation of fluid makes the abdomen to swell.
There are some causes of abdominal swelling or dropsy. They include the following;
1. Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the major causes of abdominal swelling. IBS refers to a functional disorder that causes the nerves and muscles of the large intestine to be oversensitive.
When this condition occurs, flatulence, diarrhea, and constipation. If an individual has IBS, this condition can cause bloating and irritation in the abdomen.
The symptoms of IBS cause the abdomen to swell leading to abdominal dropsy.
2. Another cause of abdominal dropsy is having excess fluid in the abdomen. When there is excess fluid, swelling of the abdomen will definitely occur.
3. Also, when the body is unable to fully metabolize or digest lactose, this condition will occur. The inability of a person to digest lactose is what we refer to as ‘lactose intolerance’.
Due to the indigestion of lactose, you can experience swelling in the abdomen.
4. Obesity is another cause of the abdominal swelling. This weight gain might be more prominent in the stomach causing dropsy in the abdomen.
5. Ascites is another cause of the abdominal swelling. This is a condition that occurs when there is an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen. This build-up of fluid can cause your abdomen to swell up.
There are certain symptoms of abdominal swelling, the common ones include the following;
- Discomfort and pain in the abdomen.
- Bloating will occur.
- Irritation in the abdomen.
- Also, the sufferer will feel heavy.
- Difficulty in bending and doing certain tasks.
- A swollen abdomen.
When you notice the symptoms of abdominal dropsy, visit a doctor for medical treatment. The cause of the swelling will determine its treatment.