Health Benefits Of Cereals
– The nutrients that cereals have that benefit the body.
– The importance of including cereals in our diet.
Cereals are edible grains, they are also stapled foods that are rich in carbohydrates. They constitute a larger percentage of the food we eat daily because most of the times, we can not avoid them.
Cereals are also grains and they belong to the monocot families ‘Poaceae or Gramineae’. They are also cultivated widely in many countries of the world.
Examples of cereals include; rice, maize, barley, sorghum, oats, rye and many others.These carbohydrates provide energy to the body.
There are amazing health benefits we can get from eating cereals, the benefits of eating cereals include the following;
1. Cereals are a very reliable source of energy, they supply adequate energy for the body to function well.
2. They also have high mineral content, they contain minerals such as sulphates and phosphates of magnesium, potassium, and calcium. These minerals are beneficial to the health.
3. Cereal grains also contain phytochemicals that are not commonly present in other foods, These phytochemicals are ortho phenols, they work as antioxidants and may also help to prevent some types of cancer.
4. They also help to prevent constipation and colon disorders. Cereals have both insoluble and soluble fibers like cellulose, pectin, and hemicellulose, these fibers help to prevent constipation and colon diseases.
5. They also supply the body with essential nutrients such as fats, lipids, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes.
6. Also, the phytates present in the cereals helps to reduce the activity of iron absorption in a healthy way.
7. Cereals also help to regulate the blood sugar level, they prevent high blood sugar levels and also enrich the overall health.
8. They also maintain a good cholesterol level, they help to lower the bad cholesterol, thereby keeping the heart healthy and keeping it from diseases.