– What is the meaning of gastroenteritis?
– Causes, symptoms, and prevention of this condition.
Gastroenteritis means the inflammation of the mucous membrane ( a membrane which secretes mucus) of the stomach and intestine. It is the inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
This condition is common, especially in children, it is also highly contagious.The infection can spread from one person to another.
Also, bacterial gastroenteritis that causes it is also known as “food poisoning”.
Also, people commonly refer to gastroenteritis as the “stomach flu”. It is a condition that causes irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines (the gastrointestinal tract).
An infection causes this condition. Causes of this inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract include the following;
1. A viral or bacterial infection happens to be the major cause. Also, viruses and bacteria can be contagious and can spread through the consumption of contaminated food or water.
Also, rotavirus and norovirus are the common viruses that cause this infection.
2. Parasites can also cause gastroenteritis, although it is not common.
3. Poor personal hygiene, failure to wash your hand after using the toilet and after doing any dirty chores.
4. Food poisoning can also be another cause.
5. A contact with the person who has it.
Also, the symptoms of this condition include;
- The irritation of the intestine or gastrointestinal tract.
- Diarrhea, an excessive passing of feces or loose motion.
- Nausea and vomiting are also symptoms.
- Also, when you have gastroenteritis, you will feel dehydrated ( dry) and without energy, especially because of diarrhea.
- Excessive thirst.
- Stomach or abdominal pain and stomach cramps.
- Fever and a headache can also occur.
- Muscle aches and pain.
- Blood in vomit or stool.
Ways to prevent this condition include the practice of a good personal hygiene, avoid food poisoning. Also, washing of the hands frequently provides the best defense against the norovirus.
Go to a hospital if you notice any of the symptoms, talk to a medical doctor for proper treatment.