– Some things you need to know about ingrown toenails.
– What are the causes of this condition?
An ingrown toenail refers to a condition whereby a toenail grows inwards as opposed to the normal growth. Some people refer to it as an abnormal growth of toenail.
An ingrown toenail is also known as onychocryphosis or unguis incarnatus. Also, it is a common and often unpleasant condition frequently seen in the big toenail.
It is also a painful condition of the toe. However, if we do not treat it, this condition can develop into a bigger one. It can develop into an infection or even an abscess which may require surgical treatment.
Also, this ingrown toenail occurs when the edge of the toenail digs into the skin at the end of or side of the toe, this makes this condition painful.
Some of the causes of this condition include the following;
1. Wearing of tight-fitting shoes can cause it. Also, when you wear high heels that compress the toes, there will be much pressure on the toes leading to an ingrown.
2. Toe injuries and improper trimming of toenails can cause it. Improper cutting of the nail can cause the nail to cut form into an abnormal growth.
3. An imbalance between the size of the nail and the enlargement of the nail skin can also cause it.
4. Also, when the edge of the nail breaks through the skin, it can lead to onychocryptosis.
5. Toe disorders generally cause it as well.
When an individual has an ingrown toenail, it always results in pain and the inflammation of the spot. However, there are ways to treat this condition.
Antibiotics, proper nail cutting, proper foot hygiene, toe surgery, etc can help to overcome this condition.
Take proper care f your feet and if you notice discomfort or have an injury there, go to a hospital.