– What is peritonitis and what are its causes?
– Symptoms and treatments for this condition
The abdomen in humans consists of many other organs, that is why we do not joke with diseases or health conditions that affect the abdomen.
Peritonitis refers to an inflammation of the peritoneum. The peritoneum id the serous membrane lining the cavity of the abdomen. In most cases, this inflammation of the peritoneum is caused by an infectious organism introduced into the abdominal cavity.
The peritoneum is a silk-like membrane that lines your inner abdominal wall and covers the organs within your abdomen. It is the tissue that lines the inner wall of the abdomen and covers and supports most of the abdominal organs.
Also, this inflammation affects the thin layer of the tissue that is inside of the abdomen and most of its organs. Peritonitis can also be as a result of rupture or perforation in the abdomen.
If this condition is not treated in good time, it can lead to other serious problems. The major risk factors for peritonitis include the following;
1. An abdominal wound, an abdominal injury, trauma to the abdomen can cause peritonitis.
2. A stomach ulcer is another risk factor for the inflammation of the peritoneum.
3. When perforations occur in the stomach, colon and some organs in the abdomen, this condition can occur.
4. A ruptured appendix is another risk factor.
5. Also, infections in the stomach, intestines or gallbladder can cause it.
6. Digestive diseases such as diverticulitis can also cause it.
7. The inflammation of the pancreas or pancreatitis.
8. Pelvic inflammatory disease, etc.
Also, there are certain symptoms that accompany the inflammation of the peritoneum. The common symptoms of peritonitis include the following;
- Poor appetite or loss of appetite.
- Abdominal ache and discomfort can also occur.
- Fevers and chills are also symptoms.
- Bowel movement.
- Difficulty in urinating well.
- Constipation Diarrhea.
The treatment for peritonitis includes the use of intravenous antibiotics. There are also other means of treating it as prescribed by the medical doctor.