– Health benefits of sweet potatoes.
– Vital nutrients that a sweet potato contains.
A sweet potato is not only sweet, it is also a type of tuber that we can find everywhere, it is not so expensive, that is why we can easily get potatoes.
Plant tubers naturally contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytochemicals and other essential nutrients. They are also good sources of carbohydrates.
Potatoes are edible plant tubers that have a wide range of benefits. They can be eaten in different forms, we can eat potatoes by boiling, frying or roasting them, potatoes are also used for chips.
We can get the benefits of a sweet potato to its maximum when we eat it unprocessed, that is when we eat boiled and roasted potato. A sweet potato is commonly yellow in color, although some sweet potatoes are white in color.
There are many health benefits we can derive from eating potatoes, some of them are;
1. Potatoes contain alpha-lipoic acid that helps to control blood glucose levels. This compound is responsible for the conversion of glucose to energy.
2. They are also rich in flavonoid, which is effective against inflammation. Quercetin is a flavonoid found in potato skin, it protects the body’s cells from free radical damage.
3. Sweet potatoes also contain iron, calcium, zinc, phosphorous and magnesium. These compounds help to maintain a good bone health, they build and maintain strong bones.
4. They also help of to build a healthy and a strong immune system with the help of Vitamin D. The Vitamin D in potatoes ensure the proper functioning of the immune system.
5. Potatoes have the essential nutrients that help us to maintain a healthy blood pressure. Such nutrients are potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
6. They contain fiber, which helps to lower the cholesterol in the blood. Potatoes are good for heart health, they reduce the risk of heart disease.
7. They also support skin health.
Sweet potatoes are packed with essential nutrients that are needed for overall health.