4 Disadvantages of Eating Honey

4 Disadvantages of Eating Honey

4 Disadvantages of Eating Honey
4 Disadvantages of Eating Honey

Honey, this has been a long time commodity that has been very useful and essential for almost all usefulness, either at home or other places. In fact, honey has been recognized for its positive benefits as a food in scientific research since 1892.

It has also been used by humans for thousands of years as a food and for medicinal reasons While it is considered generally safe for healthy adults, just like any other food, there are concerns if you eat too much, in addition to concerns for infants and those with weakened immune systems.

But it is so surprising that the same way we have several benefits in honey, we also have the disadvantages too.

Below are the disadvantage of having too much intakes of honey;

1. Limitations

One tablespoon is considered a serving and it is not recommended that you exceed 10 table spoons because honey has the same relative sweetness and chemical backbone as table sugar, so the recommended serving size of honey is the same as it is for table sugar, so it shouldn’t be taken more 10 tablespoons per day.

This 10 table spoon recommendation is for all added sugars, including those in packaged foods. So, in order to avoid all the health related issues connected to excess sugar intake, you need to stop at just 10 spoon full for a day.

2. Short-Term Effects
Due to the fructose content in honey, eating too much also might interfere with your small intestines ability to absorb nutrients.

Going over the 10 table spoons daily upper limit causes gastric problems such as stomach cramps, bloating and diarrhea.

When the honey is too much in ones system, until it’s out of that system it contribute to further abdominal discomfort.

3. Long-Term Effects
Prolonged exposure to acidic foods can erode tooth enamel and linings of ones esophagus, intestines and stomach, which will later lead to acid reflux diseases. on this context honey is also said to be a little bit acidic and might be risky when taken too much

Often over consumption of honey can have long-term negative effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Nutrient absorption could become a permanent problem, even when there is not honey in the system.

Excess honey consumption, as with any excess sugar consumption, might result in insulin insensitivity.

4. Infants
Because of this risk, pediatricians recommend no honey for children under 12 months or for pregnant or breastfeeding women, Uncontrolled botulism causes muscle paralysis and eventually death.

The sweetness of honey at times is said to be too much for an infant. Some honey contains botulism spores, which the immature digestive system of an infant cannot handle, leading to botulism poisoning.

There are verities of signs that pops up when an infant is undergoing botulism e.g constipation, weakness, listlessness and decreased appetite.

Botulism can be treated if detected early and usually leads to a full recovery.

Well, everything good as they say must have an after effect, why