How To prepare Ogbono Soup without vegetables
Before you cook Ogbono Soup Grind the Ogbono with a dry mill.
Cut the frozen spinach when it is not completely defrosted. It is easier that way. Then when completely defrosted, squeeze out the excess water.
Cook the assorted meat with the stock cubes and onion. If you will use Shaki, remember to start cooking that first, then add beef when almost done.
Grind crayfish and pepper, boil some water and set aside.
Ingredients for Ogbono Soup
1 Assorted Meat and Fish: Beef, Shaki (cow tripe), Dry Fish, Stockfish
2 handfuls Ogbono Seeds
3 cooking spoons red palm oil
Vegetable: Frozen Spinach (you can also use Pumpkin leaves or even Bitterleaf)
1 handful crayfish
Pepper and Salt (To taste)
1 medium onion
2 stock cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
How to prepare Ogbono Soup
1.Put your palm oil inside a dry and clean stainless plate or aluminum pot.
2. Put on your stove or gas cooker and melt the oil in the pot at low heat, note: ou are only melting the oil not heating it up.
3. After melting the oil, reduce the stove or gas cooker and add the ground ogbono and use a spoon to spread the ogbono in th oil.
4. As soon as the ogbono is desolved and mixed with the oil, add the meat/fish stock (water from cooking the assorted meat and fish).
5. Reduce your stove or gas cooker and the stire it. At this point your ogbono will start getting thicker and will start drawing. Keep stirring till the Ogbono has completely absorbed the meat stock.
6. Now you will add very little quantitiy of hot water and then keep stiring it till the ogbono absorbed all the water.
7. Still as your stove or gas cooker is reduced, cover the pot and start cooking.
8. When if begins to undergo heating, keep stir every 2-3 minutes for 20 minutes.
At this point, you are almost there: every 3-4 minutes, open the pot, stir every well, scraping the Ogbono that sticks to the base of the pot, cover the pot and cook for another 3 minutes.
9. Your ogbono should be well cooked after 20 minutes, and you will begin to perceive its nice aroma.
10. Now add your grounded crayfish, pepper, and assorted meat and fish and then taste.
You tasty ogbono will become thicker now.If so, add a little bit more water and stir very well.
11. Increase the stove or gas cooker a bit now, Cover till the contents of the pot is well heated up.
If you prefer your Ogbono Soup without vegetables, turn off the heat and serve but if you like to add a vegetable then keep reading
12. After heating what is inside your pot, then you can add your vegetable(frozen Spinach or pumpkin). Stir very well, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes and serve with Fufu, eba or any meal of your choice .