Several factors could be the cause of male fertility. Experts who are specialized in this area of health have opened up about the common causes and factors that are responsible for male infertility. One of the largest medical research groups in the world, Mayo Clinic have discussed the major causes. The researchers made it known that male infertility come under three broad categories;
- Medical causes
- Environmental factors
The Mayo Clinic revealed that medical causes of infertility may come from infection or antibodies attacking the sperm. There are many other medical causes like undescended testicles and hormone imbalance.
The following are the other factors that may destroy male fertility:
- Exposure to lead or other heavy metals
- Exposure to radiation or X-rays
- Overheating the testicles through frequent use of saunas or hot tubs
- Sitting for long periods, wearing tight clothing or working on a laptop computer for long stretches of time
- Use of anabolic steroids taken to stimulate muscle strength and growth can cause the testicles to shrink and sperm production to decrease
- Use of cocaine or marijuana may temporarily reduce the number and quality of your sperm as well
- Drinking alcohol can lower testosterone levels, cause erectile dysfunction and decrease sperm production.
- Liver disease caused by excessive drinking also may lead to fertility problems.
- Tobacco smoking
- Emotional stress
- Obesity can impair fertility