– What is pleurisy and how does it occur?
– The causes or risk factors for this condition.
Pleurisy refers to the inflammation of the pleura, the pleura is the smooth serous membrane which closely covers the lungs and the surfaces of the thorax. In simple terms, the lungs are wrapped in the pleura.
This condition might seem complicated but this will aid a better understanding of it. The thorax as we know refers to the region between the neck and the abdomen, it is the cavity containing the heart and lungs.
So, if we look at this very well, we can deduce that the chest is between the neck and the abdomen, this will make the understanding of this article a bit easier.
Pleurisy is the inflammation of the lining of the lung and this happens to be the most common lung problem. The major symptom of this condition is chest pain. This is why some people tag this condition as a type of chest pain.
Also, it is important that you know some things that cause this condition, the common causes of pleurisy include the following;
1. Pleurisy can occur as a result of chemotherapy drugs.
2. Pus under the diaphragm especially when in excess can cause it.
3. Diseases such as sickle cell disease and others are also risk factors.
4. Pleurisy can also be as a result of infectious diseases that are caused by bacteria, virus, etc. Bacterial infections such as pneumonia often cause pleurisy.
5. Gastrointestinal diseases and infections can also cause it.
6. Lung cancer and autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis can cause it.
However, when you have this inflammation of the pleura or the lining of the lungs, there are always signals that show it, these are the signs and symptoms of this condition. The symptoms are;
- Chest pain.
- Discomfort in the chest due to a burning or stabbing pain.
- Shortness of breath or breathlessness.
- Fever and chills can also occur.
- Unexplainable weight loss.
Go for a regular checkup for an early diagnosis and treatment of this condition.