The causes of cyanosis that you should know.
The common signs and symptoms that accompany this condition.
Cyanosis refers to a blue discoloration of the skin and this discoloration is often due to the circulation of blood that is low in oxygen.
So, in medical term, cyanosis denotes a bluish color of the skin due to an insufficient level of oxygen in the blood. This means that there is an amount of oxygen that should be present in the blood
for human beings to maintain their normal skin color.
An abnormal hemoglobin can also lead to this condition. Hemoglobin is the iron-containing substance in red blood cells that transports oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
So, when this substance is negatively impaired, it affects the transportation of oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body.
It is also important to know that cyanosis is a condition and not a disease. When this condition affects an individual, the color of the skin of the fingertips and the lips turns to light blue.
Under a normal condition, the blood is bright red in color due to the activities of hemoglobin.
The causes of cyanosis include the following;
1. An abnormal hemoglobin or an overproduction of an abnormal hemoglobin (Methemoglobinemia) in the body.
2. A lowered oxygen level in the blood is the major cause for cyanosis. When there is an overall lack of oxygen, this condition will also occur.
3. Diseases that lead to the narrowing of blood vessels can also cause cyanosis.
4. Blockage in the supply of blood is another cause. For example, a blood clot that blocks blood supply causes cyanosis.
5. Lung disease and infections, as well as heart diseases, can also lead to it.
6. Congenital heart defects such as tricuspid atresia is another cause.
7. Taking drugs that contain nitrates and dapsone is also a risk factor.
The symptoms of this condition include the following;
- Tiredness or extreme fatigue can occur.
- A blue discoloration of the lips and fingertips is the major sign of cyanosis.
- Rapid heartbeat and chest pain are also symptoms.
- Breathing difficulties can also occur.
Upon noticing these symptoms, see a medical doctor. Oxygen therapy to restore the oxygen levels in the blood is one of the methods doctor used.