– The health benefits of eating ginger.
– The importance of ginger to the health.
Ginger happens to be one of the healthiest spices that we eat. Aside from the fact that it is healthy, it is also one of the most delicious spices.
Although it has a peppery taste, it is very helpful to the body because it contains certain properties that the body needs for growth and development.
We can use the root of the ginger plant as a spice in cooking. It also contains nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for the body and brain.
Also, ginger has a unique flavor. However, the flavor of ginger is due to the presence of gingerol, a phenolic compound that gives the rhizomes their fiery heat.
When we use ginger as a spice when cooking, gingerols are converted into zingerone, rendering a much milder and spicy-sweet taste.
The root of ginger can be used in different forms, we can eat it fresh, we can consume it in its powdered form, we can also dry it as a spice, and it can also be in oil form or as juice.
Health benefits of ginger include;
1. Ginger helps the digestive system, it relieves gastrointestinal irritation, and also suppress gastric contractions.
2. It also helps in reducing pains, especially the exercise-induced muscle pain.
3. Eating ginger in its raw form or drinking ginger tea is a common home remedy for nausea. It helps to relieve nausea and also aid cold recovery.
4. Also, for ladies who have menstrual cramps when menstruating, ginger helps to reduce the symptoms of ‘dysmenorrhea’ (severe pain during a menstrual cycle).
5. It also helps in maintaining good cholesterol levels.
Ginger is also good for the heart, it helps in maintaining heart health.
Ginger also lowers the blood sugar levels, it improves the functionality of the brain, it also fights inflammation and it helps to maintain an overall health.