Tech: 10 Facts About Android You Probably Didn’t Know
Android is now over seven years old and runs on about 90% smartphones world wide. It is one of the most advance operating system for mobile platform. Android is now part of our lives and hence we decided to unveil some interesting facts about Android.
Read the 10 Core Facts About Android as shared by InformationNG below;
1. Android is not created by Google. Android was created in 2003 by Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears and Chris White in Palo Alto, California. Android was originally developed by its makers as a platform for digital cameras to weave apps into them but then founders realized that the digital camera market was not large enough to make profit and the company diverted its efforts towards producing operating system for smartphones that would rival Symbian and Windows Mobile. In 2005, Google acquired Android Inc. (at a price of $50 million). Android Inc. acquisition is one of the best acquisition for Google.
2. The first ever mobile to run Android OS was the T-Mobile G1 (also known as HTC Dream).
3. Google is famous for naming its Android OS updates after desserts. (Android 1.0 and 1.1 was exception).
4. Android is open source. This has allowed smartphones manufactures to customize Android OS and hence pure Android, TouchWiz, HTC Sense like flavours of Android developed.
5. Android is based on the Linux kernel.
6. Android on TVs – Android TV
Android on Watches – Android Wear
Android in Cars – Android Auto
7. Microsoft’s Scott Horn called Android “NO MAJOR THREAT”. How wrong he was!
8. Android 3.0 a.k.a. Honeycomb was only released for tablets and not for smartphones.
9. Development on Android started back in 2003 whereas development on iOS started in 2004. Apple launched first iPhone on 29 June, 2007 and Android running first mobile launched in 22 October, 2008.
10. Android is written in C (core), C++, Java (UI).